Monday, October 7, 2013

Week #1 in Mexico

Well to say this week has been crazy would be an understatement. Especially since its been a long time since I've been able to email so hopefully i can remember as much as possible! haha so Tuesday morning I woke up at 130 am Utah time, so 1230 AZ time, and headed out to the airport. After a layover in Dallas where I got to call my beloved family, I boarded the 2 and a half hour flight to Mexico City. As we flew over the city, it was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life. millions and millions of houses that never ended, all pretty much stacked on top of each other. We met our mission president at the airport, and were driven to the mission home about 20 min away. I thought I was gonna die. Drivers here are ridiculous. There is no such thing as a turn signal, crosswalks, or even lanes. just horns. many many horns. haha but we made it. we spent the night at the APs home, and returned the next day where I met my first companion, Elder Mendez from Monterrey, ME. He doesn't speak any English. oh well haha better learn Spanish faster! My area is in a town called Cuatapec. It's on the side of a mountain. It's so physically demanding haha. Literally, streets are 75 degrees. and only small cars can make it up. Some areas to get to houses we have to walk up or down 1000s of steps of stairs. boy the 15 lbs I've gained is gonna go away fast. haha maybe they feed me sooo much food here. like, I've almost exploded twice. But it tastes soooo good! and somehow, I like the spicy foods... but I hate spicy food... interesting. But things are awesome. 
The first night we went to teach less active members, well totally inactive. The guys name who stuck out to me was D.V. Cool guy. My companion did the teaching that time cause well idk much Spanish. But the spirit of the Lord is powerful, and because we invited the spirit, I was able to bear my testimony in perfect Spanish, and by the end of testifying, the spirit brought this tough guy with full sleeve tattoos to tears. Its not like I said anything profound, but when you invite the spirit, miracles happen. The next day we went to teach a less active, but she wasn't home, so we taught her sister whose not a member, and we were able to invite the spirit there too. I think i learn fast because the first day my companion said this week ill listen and next week i can start teaching. Well on Thursday, my second day in the field i taught the whole first lesson. All thanks to the spirit. Also, we taught the M family, and they are so close now after 1 lesson. I love being out here because i love seeing people desire to make a change in their lives. I think my favorite experience was on Friday night. Right now my house is a garage. i have a bed a fridge and a desk. Not much but its more then a lot of people have here. The family housing us is really nice, and they love to bring us food. Anyways Friday night the mother had over her sister, who is not a member of the church. She is very catholic and stubborn to what we have to say. We talked for a while, and it was hard for the spirit to dwell there because her heart was closed. But a long prayer in my mind invited the spirit, and again the investigator was in tears by the end, and wanted to learn more. I'm not even close to the same person I was before I left. Ive witnessed many miracles, as a family of 5 committed to baptism, and will be baptized next week. They will be so happy! I actually have a different favorite experience, and that happened last night. The B's are an inactive family who own a premier restaurant in the city. so they're always cooking delicious food. S is 26ish, and is a returned missionary, but has since become inactive. Last night we were just eating pizza after conference with S and after like an hour of socializing, my companion tells S that I, by myself, is going to teach him. So I did, and it was the coolest thing Ive ever gotten to do. S has a hard time because he knows he needs to repent, and hes just not happy. So after teaching with the spirit and with the gift of tongues, he was ready to change. In Spanish he asked if id give him a blessing, but I didn't know that what he said. so he went and sat in my chair and my companion gestured to me to give a blessing. Ive never even given a blessing in English. So I prayed for help and I started in English, and then my tongue was loosed, and the words of the spirit were spoken, and it strengthened my testimony. I could go on and on for hours about the thousands of dogs, and the weather, the smell, the taxi's or anything. But what has really mattered are the experiences. The spirit of the Lord is real. Jesus Christ did suffer for us, and because of that he knows us perfectly, and he will be our advocate to the father. I know the church is true. Don't take all the luxuries of America for granted.Please respond with questions and i will answer! love you all!
Elder Tanquary

No comments:

Post a Comment